Saturday, June 20, 2009
DukDesigns is AWESOME!! Come see why...
1. Who is dukdesigns? Heather Wayne is the owner-operator of DuK Designs. Specializing in designing handbags and backpacks, Heather expresses her creative side through designing different bags with a bit of engineering skills, color coordinating, and imaginative exploration... no patterns!
2. What kind of crafting/art do you do? I love my sewing machine! If it involves fabric and thread, I am in! How long have you been doing it? I learned the beginner skills of quilting and sewing when I was a young girl. However, it wasn't until after graduating college that I took the time to grow my skills and dedicate time to sewing. While job-hunting I needed something to invest my time and energy. I bought a brand new sewing machine and started creating bags.
3. Where do you pull your inspiration from? I love fabrics and draw inspiration from the beautiful variety of different fabric designs and colors! I can spend hours in the sewing store and online, pulling together fabrics, colors, and gathering ideas for new designs.
4. What is your favorite medium? Purse design.
5. Is Etsy your art your full time job, or just an on the side project? It started out as my full-time job, and I remained dedicated to my Etsy shop on a 50 hour work week schedule for 8 months. Recently, however, I was offered a full-time job in my field of study (Human Services), and I now work my Etsy shop part-time. But my love and passion for designing is definitely more than a hobby to me! I am whole-heartly dedicated to it!
6. How did you find Etsy? A close friend of mine saw the bags that I had created and told me I needed to check out Etsy. The rest is history!
7. How did you become ADDICTED to Etsy CHAT? I first started joining chat as a way to promote my shop. After getting to know many Etsy regulars, it became more of a daily socializing ritual for me! I have gotten to meet so many awesome people online through Etsy. Now if I don't get my daily Etsy chat time, the day is just not the same!
8. What is your favorite piece that you have done? I created a "Skulls and Roses" handbag, which I was totally impressed with. The skulls theme is not something I would personally consider “my style,” however, once it was completed, I was IN LOVE with the bag! The colors of red and black, and the goldish rings I used all pulled this bag together so perfectly. It was really a piece of art to me... and one hot lookin' bag!
9. What is your favorite Etsy shop (other than yours)? Oooh that's tough because I have several close Etsy friends who all have awesome shops!
10.Tips for other Artists? If you are ever faced with a time where you lack creative inspiration or motivation, go back to the roots of when you first fell in love with your art and draw upon that passion.
11. Tell me a Secret about yourself. I am an avid NASCAR fan. Only my close friends know that about me, and if I tell people that I love NASCAR, they seemed surprised. I guess because it’s not the most girly sport in the world. But I have been around racing my whole life, so it’s in my blood.
12. Any parting words of wisdom? Questions? Comments. Do what you love and love what you do. And don't ever sell yourself short! Don't mark your product down in price because you are anxious for a sale. When the right buyer comes along, they will pay you what you say it is worth! And you deserve the compensation for your hard work!
DukDesigns is giving away a "Lotus Dreams in Blue Handbag" to one lucky winner!!
How do you enter to win? SIMPLE....
1 Entry: go to www.dukdesigns.etsy.com and pick your favorite item, then come back here and tell us what it is! (required)
1 Entry: Twitter this Blog post AND DukDesigns.Etsy.Com, Leave a link here to the twit and get another entry.
1 Entry: BLOG about this Giveaway and DukDesigns, leave comment here with a link.
2 Entries: Purchase an Item from Dukdesigns.etsy.com, post a link to the transaction here, and get TWO more entries..
1 Entry: Follow this blog, leave a post here to let us know you follow.
SO, 6 entries in all!!