Let's all say a cheery hello to miasophia !!
One of our chatters with some amazing jewelry. Here is a bit about her:
1. Who is miasophia? I am a suburban stay at home mom who dreams of fancier things. I adore where I am in my life, but I love Italian art and French design. Vintage European design captures me the most. I love how feminine it all is.
2. What kind of crafting/art do you do? How long have you been doing it?
I am a jewelry designer and have been designing for a little over two years. But only began selling it on etsy a little over a year ago.
3. Where do you pull your inspiration from?
Books mostly. Since my beautiful daughters keep me occupied here I study books.
4. What is your favorite medium? While I am currently trying to focus on silversmithing I can’t seem to keep away from vintage things. I seem to find vintage beads wherever I go. I buy the old jewelry, take it apart and viola! New fun things to create!
5. Is Etsy your art your full time job, or just an on the side project?
My full time job is my daughters, so I would say my Etsy shop is my Art.
6. How did you find Etsy?
Watching Martha Stewart, the BlackApple was making one of her dolls. I went to investigate and was hooked that day!
7. How did you become ADDICTED to Etsy CHAT?
How does anyone explain an addiction? You find your self in a situation where you feel the need and drawn into whatever feeds that need! Ha ha. I love the friendships, fun, interesting people and amazing artists you find in there. Even the occasional drama is fun. Everything is better with a little spice.
8. What is your favorite piece that you have done?
Wow, every week it changes, depending on what I create. Right now I’m working on a very long necklace made from vintage rosary chain, so right now, that is my favorite of what I'm making. However, I wear simpler things. I have made and then kept and constantly wear a simple purple bead on a chain. It is really fun. I sit and spin it on it's wire while I think. It seems to suit me.
9. What is your favorite Etsy shop (other than yours)?
Unfortunately, I can’t pick one. I love the other jewelry artists who create, I love the newbies just finding their way, I love to see the pottery (amazing stuff there!) and the photographers and painters. I can’t say I have just one favorite.
10.Tips for other Artists? Stay true to yourself and your vision. Surround yourself with people and things that feed your soul.
11.Tell me a Secret about yourself.
I don’t wear much jewelry at all! Earrings (just studs), an simple necklace (one of my favs is a purple solitary bead I created for my shop but kept for myself) and a ring my daughter got me in Greece, which I only wear when I go out.
12. Any parting words of wisdom?
The thing I struggle with the most is not getting caught up in the commercial side of Etsy. Also there is a huge “I can make that” draw. I try not to look too often at many jewelry artists who are similar in style to me because I find myself thinking in their designs. I have to go back to my books and clear my head to re-focus on what it is I want to create. So, I would say for other artists to know yourself and what you want, stay focused on your true desires and abilities and, no matter what the sales numbers say, you will love what you are doing. That is how I stay an artist and not get caught up in the commercial side.
Want a chance to WIN one of Miasophias Pieces? Well, you are in luck!! miasophia Is giving away this lovely necklace.
For your chance to win:
1. Leave a comment about your fav item in miasophia Etsy Shop.
2. BLOG about miasophia and link us to the post!!
3. Tweet a link to miasophia and to ETSYCHATTERS then leave comment here with that link.
So THREE chances to WIN!! How fun and wasy is that?? hmmmm..
We will choose a winner by random number generator at random.org next Friday. The winner will be notified Via Convo or Email (so make sure your contact info is clear in the comments)